Saturday, July 5, 2014

Sourdough Pancakes and French Toast.

The experiments continue.  I can't bring myself to discard sourdough starter only to replenish and keep the starter alive.  I pulled out my trusty book and hunted for the next test.

This book is a very good sourdough reference.
The next batch of starter was made into pancakes.  Once again Magic Man was missing from the homestead.  This recipe makes enough pancakes to feed a crowd, but it was only me at the house.  So I cut back - a lot.  The batter starts Saturday night.

I added 1/2 cup of starter to a glass bowl.  To this I added 1 cup warm water and 1-1/4 cup flour and mixed well.  It was a little thick, a little lumpy just as the recipe described.  Covered with plastic wrap and a tea towel, the bowl sat in a warm corner in the kitchen until daybreak.  

The first thing Sunday morning, after a cup of coffee and a quick reread of the instructions, 1/2 cup of starter went back into the starter jar.  By now the started had thinned and was quite bubbly.

To the remaining starter I added 1 egg, 1 tablespoon oil, 2 tablespoons powdered milk and beat this well.  In a separate cereal bowl mixed 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 tablespoon of sugar.  This mixture was sprinkled over the batter, and gently folded in.  Step back and watch the magic.  The mixture started to foam and grow.  
Pancake batter before the baking soda
It was quite an amazing moment.  It was time to let this sit for a moment while the cast iron skillet (or comal) was heated and lightly coated with oil.  If it's not thin enough, you can add a little milk.

By now the batter was really bubbly.
Pancake batter after the baking soda was added
Sourdough Jack advises making small pancakes.  Use a tablespoon of batter at a time.  It should sizzle when it hits the skillet.
Side 1 Sizzling. 
The cakes don't take long to cook.  Flip when the cake is filled with exploded bubbles.
Side 2 Finishing
This recipe made about 15 pancakes.  I thought there would be plenty left over.  These are the lightest, fluffiest pancakes I'd ever eaten.  As a matter of fact, I ate 8 of these in one sitting drowning in fresh maple syrup.  They were so good.  The rest of that batch went to Mom's house.  She hid them for her breakfast the next day.  She enjoyed them as much as I did.  
Mmmmm... Pancakes!!

My friend suggested the next week I use sourdough starter for French toast.  He ran short of milk one day so he subbed starter for milk in his French toast batter, setting out 1/2 cup of starter the night before.  Mix in an egg, a bit of sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.  The toast was so delicate and delicious.  I wolfed it down so fast, I didn't think about taking pictures.  You'll just have to trust me on this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment