Friday, December 23, 2011

In Honor of Donner

This is one of my favorite Christmas memories...

Back in the day, my job transferred me four states from home.  In my mid 20's, that was a big deal.  It didn't take long to miss Mom's cooking, even though the local food was great.

I asked family for recipes.  They requested copies of the other recipes in exchange.  The final result was a family cookbook, "In Honor of Donner," after Mom's hometown.  Not only recipes arrived in my mailbox, but relatives sent snippets of memories and photos.  This project rapidly became more than a collection of cards originally envisioned.


My copy is worn, the binding disintegrated years ago.  What is left of the pages hides in a 3-ring binder in sheet protectors.  My working version resides on the web.

Most of my aunts are now gone.  My daughter, nieces, nephews and numbered cousins have a direct link to these relatives they never knew. 

Merry Christmas and many blessings for 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment